[squeak-dev] shortening the World menu

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun May 18 22:18:07 UTC 2014

On 18-05-2014, at 2:21 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> I could live without "Save as new version" and "Save and quit”.

I suggest a single entry in the menu - say, ‘save/quit’ - that opens a simple dialogue with facilities for handling the save, save as, save and quit (do we need 'save as and quit'? Probably not) and just plain quit, plus I think ‘cancel’ just to make sure you aren’t stuck with one of those choices.

I appreciate that the idea of a menu entry opening a dialogue directly just as it would a sub-menu might seem strange but it’s one of the RISC OS UI tricks that is really useful. Sure, you can have a menu entry that opens a dialogue when clicked upon but that’s not the same; I suggest being able to have dialogues be part of the menu/submenu tree. Think of it as menu>dialogue rather than menu… dialogue.

tim
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.