[squeak-dev] Re: shortening the World menu

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon May 19 14:50:09 UTC 2014

On May 18, 2014, at 2:21 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Marcel Taeumel
> <marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>> Yes, the world menu seems overloaded. But you cannot just remove some entries
>> because you can find them somewhere else. There is no shorter access to the
>> tools "Browser", "Workspace", "Transcript", "Test Runner" besides using a
>> keyboard shortcut. The "Open..." Menu involves additional navigational
>> overhead (point&click&point&click...). Even the world main docking bar
>> involves more mouse navigation overhead than using the world menu.
>
> We should _remove_ the inefficient ways of navigation and working from
> the IDE.  When someone opens a Browser from the World Menu, they're
> immediately faced with long scrolling lists and they have to click at
> least three more times to get anywhere (not including scrolling!).
> Talk about navigation overhead!  That route will _always_ be more
> overhead than using the Search bar, or spawning browsers from existing
> browsers.

Not necessarily ;-).  In VMMaker I've included three utility methods added to the do... submenu that open multitab browsers with tabs for several classes.

Here are some ideas that make browsers more effective:

Remember the size and position of the last opened browser and open new browsers with the same size and position, changing the position if there's already a browser there.

Remember the last selected category and selecting that category ;if still extant) when opening new browsers