[squeak-dev] Phexample: API Change Proposal

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Mon May 19 18:53:23 UTC 2014

I brought this up on Pharo Dev
(http://forum.world.st/Phexample-API-Change-Proposal-was-Phexample-Image-Destroying-Bug-td4755787.html#a4756229)
and wanted to re-post here before committing my fix, since I assume that
Squeak and Pharo make up the Phexample user base...

MAJOR API CHANGE:
- change matcher #= to #equal: e.g. "1 should = 1" would now be written "1
should equal: 1"
- update all code to use new API

Motivation: the #= magic made it impossible to store matchers in
dictionaries, and #hash was implemented to signal an error explaining as
much. Unfortunately, #= and #hash are deeply ingrained Smalltalk concepts,
and are assumed to work as expected. In Pharo 3.0, the debugger tried to put
matchers in a dictionary, causing an infinite error loop whenever a matcher
failed.

Let me know if you have any suggestions/objections/whatever.

Sean

-----
Cheers,
Sean