[squeak-dev] issue allocating more memory for the image

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu May 22 15:58:26 UTC 2014

Using latest Cog image 4.0-2776 in Linux, whenever I've had a
memory-intensive operation to run, I would simply start up with 2G
allocation:

  squeak -mmap 2000m trunk.image &

But, for some reason, when I do this today, I'm getting a message on stdout:

    sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
    sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

AND, if I simply do it in a workspace

    self halt

and click Proceed in the debugger, I'm getting a pop-up that warns me:

 'WARNING: There is not enough space to start the low space watcher.
If you proceed, you will not be warned again, and the system may
run out of memory and crash. If you do proceed, you can start the
low space notifier when more space becomes available simply by
opening and then closing a debugger (e.g., by hitting Cmd-period.)
Do you want to proceed?'

This happens in a standard trunk image.  I've never had this issue
before, does anyone know why its happening?

Thanks.