[squeak-dev] issue allocating more memory for the image

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu May 22 20:44:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>
> wrote:
> > Usually on a unix system, a "No such file or directory" error means
> > exactly what it says. A file named "/dev/dsp" is a device file in the
> /dev
> > pseudo-file system, which presumably is not present. Various flavors of
> > Linux or Unix might have different sound systems active, and might have
> > different naming conventions for device files.
> >
> > I can't think of any reason why this should have an interaction with
> > object memory allocation. If it seems to be VM related, try running with
> > an interpreter VM or a different version of Cog and see if the symptoms
> > change.
>
> It's because there's a System beep somewhere in there and I was just
> interjecting the question-- why the heck do we have System beep(s)
> embedded in the system?
>
> But let's please not focus on that right now.  I really want to ask
> the more important question whether there's a problem with Cog.

Looks like sound support is broken in Cog.  I had hacked in ALSA support
for linux at Qwaq/Teleplace and it appeared to be working properly there.
 But perhaps something is broken.  Certainly ALSA support looked pretty
poor, and recent;y Tim has found that at least on RPi one needs to compile
the VM with the threaded heartbeat, /not/ the signalling itimer heartbeat
for ALSA not to crash.  So Chris, are you using the threaded or the itimer
heartbeat?  You can tell using the -version switch, at least on current
VMs.  Somewhere in the version output it'll say ITHB if its a VM with the
itimer heartbeat.

None of the symptoms happen with the Interpreter VM (2357).

--
best,
Eliot