[squeak-dev] issue allocating more memory for the image

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu May 22 20:46:51 UTC 2014

Hi Chris,

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> I try with the -memory parameter instead of -mmap, then Cog crashes
> immediately with -memory 2200m when launching the stock 4.5 image..

Yes, that's your limit with X11.  32-bit linux reserves the top 1Gb for
kernel space, leaving 3Gb for user processes.  Once you factor in space
taken for the VM and the X11 libraries (plus sundries) 2200mb is simply too
much memory and the system crashes in X11 startup.  So for the moment
you'll need to peg things at 2100mb or 2000mb.

--
best,
Eliot