Beep strangenesses ( was Re: [squeak-dev] issue allocating more memory for the image)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri May 23 00:16:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 03:47:51PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 22-05-2014, at 11:44 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > It's because there's a System beep somewhere in there and I was just
> > interjecting the question-- why the heck do we have System beep(s)
> > embedded in the system?
>
> For some reason the halt causes a beep. And for some reason the beep wants to put up a menu to choose which beep supporting class you want to use. That doesn?t seem like a good idea to me. And I see the lowspace watcher uses beep too, which is an even worse place to be opening menus and asking the user to choose their favourite sound maker class.
>
> Perhaps worse, you can?t do a cmd-. while them menu is open in order to try to debug this.
>
> It?s something to do with SoundService default etc. Looks like the default was nil and thus #askForDefault is used. Perhaps it got nilled during some cleanup or install ?

Wow. The low space watcher is invoking memory-intensive activity complete
with sound effects, fireworks, and 3D animations. What could possibly go
wrong with a design like that? While we're at it we may as well open a
connection to a relational database and log some diagnostic information,
then send some emails to the support organization to inform them that an
investigation should be mounted some time next week.

We should certainly fix this for the low space watcher.

Dave