[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] What is your seaside application?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat May 24 17:26:32 UTC 2014

Hi Leonardo,

> I am interested in events you can trigger in web pages. For example: a
> user clicks on a button and the script code associated causes a state
> change in the Document Object Model (DOM) and sends a XHR request
> (XMLHttpRequest) to the server. The server eventually answers this request,
> closing the sequence of events. I want to trace these sequences of events
> from a running application.

You might be interested in checking out Michael Perscheids recently
announced "Path Tools" framework for Squeak.  It performs incremental,
dynamic analysis of an application under observation.  The framework is
designed to analyze the running TestCases of an application, which is
perfect for TDD.

https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/pathToolsFramework

One of the demonstration videos showcases its "Test-driven fault
navigation" capability, where a bug is purposefully introduced into Seaside
itself and shown how the system employs its lightweight, "back-in-time
debugging" feature to identify it.  Amazing stuff!

 >> So, a simple and quick-to-answer question, what is your Seaside
application and how to access the code of it?

> > many of web app are private because business oriented.
>
> I understand, but it would be nice to have some examples of web
> applications using script languages, even if I don't have access to all
> source code.

Path Tools is MIT-licensed so everything is visible.  In fact at the bottom
of that page is a pre-configured image available for download which
provides an interactive tutorial.