Beep strangenesses ( was Re: [squeak-dev] issue allocating more memory for the image)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat May 24 21:59:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 22-05-2014, at 3:47 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> > It’s something to do with SoundService default etc.
>
> I’m still trying to puzzle out why on earth we ended up with the system
> beep being involved in a complex services regime. The beep is supposed to
> be a trivially simple way to get a noise out of the system when you need to
> have some alert that doesn’t rely upon anything complex. That’s why it is a
> primitive; that way if you need something more complex because a noise
> isn’t appropriate (or possible?) you can make it flash a light or set off
> some dynamite, or (rather mundanely) write to a console.
>
> Did anyone come up with an especially good reason for the complication?
> I’m willing to be persuaded if there is a good argument.

However it happened, and I can imagine that some well-meaning soul thought
that an audio notification of a bug would be useful, I think we need to at
the very least make it an option that is disabled by default.  It is
incredibly annoying to be prompted for a sound system selection while
running the tests.  It is worse that images crash when they raise notifiers.

--
best,
Eliot