[squeak-dev] Re: What's up on build.squeak.org

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sat May 24 22:06:02 UTC 2014

Ah, no, the build is still failing!
Since http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunk/834/ it's another problem
with:

MCClassDefinition>>createClass

I encountered this one while updating some of my old trunk images.
The definition changed in Monticello-cwp.589:
+                       inEnvironment: (CurrentEnvironment signal ifNil:
[superClass environment])
-                       inEnvironment: (EnvironmentRequest signal ifNil:
[superClass environment])

But there is no EnvironmentRequest anymore when loading this definition, so
we signal nil, and the load fails.
We would have expected this, it's just be renamed in:

Environments-cwp.47
Time: 22 March 2014, 7:53:17.666 pm
Rename EnvironmentRequest to CurrentEnvironment and use it to implement
Environment class>>current.

To be safe, the rename should have been performed in two stages:
1) create the new class and migrate customers from the old to the new one.
2) remove the old one
It would thus have required two updates.mcm and not a single one
(MC lacks a semantic #rename: so it does not work like in-image-tools)
Unfortunately, update-cwp.48 did perform the two operations at once...

Curiously, if I take an artefact from build server and update, the upgrade
is then processing fine... Don't ask why.
Since no one complained, I told to myself that it was me not following the
standard process, I patched my images manually and restarted the upgrade.
But I now see that it's not just me, there is a CI machine too using Squeak
trunk (anyone else???)

I have to cheat again with mcm surgery:
- publish an Environments-nice.47 that adds the CurrentEnvironment, but not
removes EnvironmentRequest
- patch update-cwp.48 to point to Environments-nice.47 rather than
Environments-cwp.47
That'll be in a few minutes...