[squeak-dev] Re: [Board] FunSqueak is a great resource

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat May 31 21:53:18 UTC 2014

On 31-05-2014, at 12:27 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> Tim Rowledge - don't forget to look at this image for your Raspberry Pi
> presentations!

I’m ahead of you; I used this image for a demo at a meeting I presented in London a few weeks ago - not that I actually went to London, we did the whole thing via Skype. Which, to my total amazement actually worked perfectly for the entire meeting.

Since I know everybody will be utterly *fascinated*, here’s the story. I was contacted by the the ROUGOL folk (that RISC OS User Group Of London) and asked to talk to them about Squeak & Scratch on RISC OS on the Pi. So I arranged to send a set of images across to run locally (in the fairly nice looking pub they use for meetings) so that I could talk and direct a carefully trained demonstrator on the spot.

I knocked up a very simple “this is what Smalltalk looks like” image from a 4.5 image just as an introduction. In fact it’s currently at https://copy.com/9xGpGdHRoaKiMl2W for the terminally bored. It might be nice to build a lot more demoey stuff into it.
I sent them Edgar’s funsqueak image too but there are quite a few problems with running it in a RISC OS Pi, sadly. The 3D stuff simply fails, copy and paste breaks horribly, other problems that I imagine are partly due to cramming so many projects into one image and the potential clashes that causes.
I also sent them a RISC OS ready Scratch,

All in all it was great fun and everybody hung around for just under two hours! As a way to demo the joys of Squeak to people you can’t actually get to physically meet it was very successful.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Re vera, potas bene = Say, you sure are drinking a lot.