[squeak-dev] Urgent: how to define a global?

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Sat Nov 1 00:17:23 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know what 'declarations' vs. 'bindings' are and I don't care,
> I just need to be able to define the global, could someone pelase tell
> me the proper fix?
>
>   a) Defining X should put it in 'bindings' instead of 'declarations'?
>   b) Accessing X should access from 'declarations' instead of 'bindings'?
>   c) Defining X should put it in BOTH  'declarations' and 'bindings'?

Hi Chris,

It's c), unless you've set up your environment not to do that, which should
not the case for "Smalltalk globals".

In my (admittedly old) trunk image, declaring a global the way you describe
works, as does Levante's suggestion of "Smalltalk at: #X put:
OrderedCollection new." I guess the urgency of your debugging effort is
over, but you could have gotten going again by copying the binding from
'declarations' to 'bindings'.

Colin

PS. I'm not paying close attention to squeak-dev these days, but I'm not
completely off the grid, so feel free to CC me directly if you want to
nudge me on a particular issue.