[squeak-dev] Calling Nim from Squeak/Pharo via FFI

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Nov 4 10:19:46 UTC 2014

Hey guys!

Just wanted to mention an article I wrote yesterday:

http://goran.krampe.se/2014/11/03/squeak-to-nim

In fact, its the latest in a series of articles on Nim:

http://goran.krampe.se/category/nim

The gist of it and why I post here:

Squeak/Pharo has the ability to use .so/.dll libraries (typically
written in C) via either VM plugins or FFI. The plugin route is a bit
messy. The FFI route (there are multiple FFIs available as you may have
heard, but my article uses the "old" one) on the other hand is quite
easy to use.

Now... Nim is a higher level language than C, very very interesting in
many ways - and it compiles via C (or C++) to either binaries or
libraries. Such a library is just like a library in C, so we can easily
call it using FFI.

So, if you wanted to play with very fast native code that is not the
PURE PAIN like C or C++ is, then Nim is a very interesting alternative.

cheers, Göran