[squeak-dev] Too much MC stuff left in image

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Nov 14 09:49:09 UTC 2014

On 14.11.2014, at 03:15, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Even after use of doits such as 	MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches & MCDefinition clearInstances I have 9500 MCVersionInfo and similar numbers of other MC related objects in my image. And 990 SMAccounts? 800 SMPackage? 13000 UUIDs? That all seems a bit excessive somehow.

SM* is SqueakMap, not Monticello.

But this sounds about the right order of magnitude: In image version 13680 that means we had 13680 previous versions, and Squeak-Version-ar.4662 tells us we removed 4662 versions so effectively there should be history for 13680-4662=9018 versions in the image. MCVersionInfo instanceCount is 9125, so that's 107 additional versions which accounts for merges (versions with multiple parents).

Not excessive at all: we chose to store history to the beginning of time in a dev environment, which is the Right Thing to do (and e.g. one reason why git won over cvs, and git even stores all source back to the beginning of time, not just meta data, which is awesome).

> I know there was a conversation about chopping at least some of the MC stuff out (which I think is where the flushAllCaches came from) but it seems there is an awful lot left that could be removed as part of making a deployment image.

For deployment, you want to get rid of the version stuff completely. That is like removing change sets - it loses information.

	MCWorkingCopy allManagers do: [:wc | wc unregister]
	Smalltalk garbageCollect.

	MCVersionInfo instanceCount
	==> 0
	UUID instanceCount