Avoiding saving the Display bitmap in snapshots [Was Re: [squeak-dev] Too much MC stuff left in image]

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 19:14:06 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 14-11-2014, at 10:44 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >
> > I wonder where 10Mb of Bitmaps is being used…
>
> Well, duh, a 1700 at 1300 Display will do that, mostly. When did screens get
> so frakkin huge? Why, when I was a lad we had 640 at 400 monochrome and
> liked it!

It would be cool if Spur could some how handle not saving the display
bitmap to the snapshot, given that it'll be repainted anyway.  But I want
to avoid that old Smalltalk-80 behaviour of the screen visibly shrinking
when the tracer is run.  Let me throw this out as whitewash.  Spur has a
segmented memory and can and does avoid writing empty segments (segments
that only contain free space) and trailing free space in segments.  So if
the Display bitmap were in a segment on its won (likely if it is
reallocated on every snapshot launch) then with a little bit of finagling
it might be simple to avoid writing it to the snapshot.  There are
obviously tricky details here such as what object it actually writes to the
snapshot file.  Anyway, something to think about when producing deployment
images for the cloud.

--
best,
Eliot