[squeak-dev] Too much MC stuff left in image

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Nov 14 22:32:36 UTC 2014

On 14.11.2014, at 21:25, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> But then what should happen when the system got to the end of the ancestry and reached the Proxy?
>>
>> There wouldn't be any proxies. You should simply get an error. Plus possibly a button to "fetch all version history".
>
> Okay, let me phrase my question another way:  When you lop-off the
> ancestry, what are you going to replace it with?  You can't just put
> nil there because it'll treat that as the end of the ancestry.
>
> You're gonna need SOME kind of, ahem....  "Placeholder" object so the
> system will know how to react..

Correct. But not something pretending to be something it's clearly not.

Perhaps there shouldn't even be one level of version info, because that's not a true version info either. The working copy should instead hold onto a ... MCVersionInfoStub, perhaps? Which would just know a name, package, and uuid.

- Bert -