[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Re: Spur 64-bits. Ugh, this could be a slog...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 18:21:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Ryan Macnak <rmacnak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, that's true if images have a fixed word size. I had imagined that the
> VM would convert an image to the host word size at startup, just as Cog
> converts Floats to the host representation. The Float change is transparent
> to Smalltalk, but a word size change would be visible through the
> identities of objects that are either immediate or heap depending on the
> word size. And for mixed format objects like CompiledMethods, the offset
> for basicAt: for the beginning of the byte data would change.

Right.  And for this reason I find it better to make the change a one-off
bootstrap, even if it rewrites a 32-nit image to a 64-bit image, rather
thna builds a fresh system from startup (an approach others are pursuing).
It doesn't make sense burdening the VM with conversion code that is rarely
used.  The one-off conversion results in a more performant, reliable
solution IMO, much like the V3 to Spur bootstrap itself.

--
best,
Eliot