[squeak-dev] Debugger hiccups

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 4 16:32:57 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 04, 2014 at 04:30:35PM +0200, Bal??zs K??si wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I came across two nuisances in the debugger:
>
> The first one is, that if you try to evaluate code in a debugger started
> from another debugger, you'll get an MNU: MessageAsTempNode>>beMethodArg.
>
> The other one is a tad more dangerous, so don't try it in an image dear to
> you: If you try to debug one of the following expressions: "nil", "-1",
> "0", "1" and "2" your image hangs. After interrupting it you get infinite
> debuggers with the message: "subscript is out of bounds: 2". The stack
> shows just one line: MethodContext(Object)>>error:
>
> I did not investigate any further yet.
>
> Cheers, Bal??zs

The second issue appears to be an infinite recursion in the fallback
code for ContetPart>object:basicAt:

Here is part of the stack trace for an image stuck in this condition:

	65024980 ContextPart>object:basicAt:
	65024572 ContextPart>object:basicAt:
	65024164 ContextPart>object:basicAt:
	65023756 ContextPart>object:basicAt:
	65023348 ContextPart>object:basicAt:
	65006892 ContextPart>object:basicAt:
	65006800 ContextPart>object:instVarAt:
	65006708 ContextPart>pushReceiverVariable:
	65006616 InstructionStream>interpretNextV3ClosuresInstructionFor:
	65006524 EncoderForV3PlusClosures class>interpretNextInstructionFor:in:
	65006432 InstructionStream>interpretNextInstructionFor:
	65006340 ContextPart>step
	64823312 ContextPart>stepToSendOrReturn
	64823220 Process>stepToSendOrReturn
	64823128 BlockClosure>ensure: