[squeak-dev] Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Sat Oct 11 17:41:22 UTC 2014

Hey,

On 11.10.2014, at 18:54, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi chris,
>> On 11.10.2014, at 01:01, Chris Muller (via Google Drive) <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Chris Muller has shared the following file:
>>>      Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip
>>>      Hi Craig, here's the All-In-One with the __MACOS removed and the Linux and Windows shortcuts added. Tedious! But, it seems to be one-click working on Linux and Windows. All that needs done is signing and verifying on Mac I guess, then I'll upload it and we'll be done.
>>
>> The following things need fixing:
>>
>> 1. Please don't name the toplevel *.app anymore, it causes trouble
>>   to access the actual .app (including renaming is virtually impossible)
>
> What should it be named?  In fact, can we get rid of the top level
> altogether?  Because otherwise we end up with is a structure that's 3
> levels deep for no organizational reason (but maybe required to work
> on crApple?).
>
> IOW, could we simply have this as the the root of the zip?
>
>   Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app
>   squeak.bat
>   squeak.sh

Yes, this can work. Most zip programs would create a parent
folder anyway.

> ?  If not, please suggest a name for the root root folder.
>
>> 2. Strangely, Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak is missing the
>>   execute permission and hence the app wont start at all.
>
> Not strange, because when I was testing in Windows, there were some
> issues which, after fixing, had to re-zip it but Windows is oblivious
> to Linux file-permissions.  So after transferring it back to a Linux
> machine and testing I noticed the file-permissions and individually
> fixed execute bit on 3 or 4 files for Linux, but ignored Apple.  I'll
> fix that for the next version, but please give me your input on the
> question above first.

Ok.
I don't know, but probably packing on linux is better, because there
are other files that have to be executable (all the plugins for Linux
and OS X) and others that should better be not (but this is not crucial).

Best
	-Tobias