[squeak-dev] Fwd: usb 3.0 support on Linux

Gustavo Duarte gus.duarte at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 13:23:51 UTC 2014

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gustavo Duarte <gus.duarte at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Subject: usb 3.0 support on Linux
To: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion <
vm-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>

Hey guys,

I'm having troubles with enchanting application (
http://enchanting.robotclub.ab.ca/Enchanting+On+Linux), as you know based
on squeak. In particular the problem is, running Enchanting on Ubuntu 12.04
and squeak-vm 4.10, the frontend isn't detect the presence of the Lego
Brick when is connected through USB port.

I guess that the problem is the type of USB port, because when use
Enchanting on a PC with USB 2.0 with the same software environment, Ubuntu
12.04 + squeak-vm +Enchanting version, all work fine.

However when i try on a PC with USB 3.0 the frontend isn't detecte the
brick.

Other additional information, Ubuntu 12.04  use for USB 2.0 ehci-pci driver
module and for 3.0 use xhci_hcd.

So my guess is,  could be some incompatibility with xhci_hcd driver module.

My question is, where I can start to find this issue, on squeak-vm or on
enchanting image ?

Where is handle the usb connection on squeak-vm or at image level ?

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.