[Pharo-users] [squeak-dev] FFI syntax

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at web.de
Fri Oct 17 22:24:23 UTC 2014

> > I can not even find up to date information on how to *install* current
> > working FFI.
>
> Look no further than the "head" version of "FFI" on SqueakMap.  You
> can install it straight from the menu or select "Edit Release" to see
> the script it uses to load it.
>
> We've been so lulled into things being undocumented that, even when
> they are, people don't find it because they don't think to look.

"people don't find it because they don't think to look."
?

This:
"I can not even find up to date information on how to *install* current
working FFI."
was about a working version on linux. Working with tests and examples,
something
a beginner can look into and see how it is used.

Sure maybe it is just as simple as select one entry from the squeak map
list.
But how should a beginner know to look there ?
We have three package managers (in the current 4.5 release).
squeak map catalog
monticello
universe browser (<- is still here but not working)

searching squeak mailing shows links to source.squeak.org
ffi on wiki.squeak does not link to squeak map

And no,ffi examples are not in squeak map.
some ffi tests are failing.
FFI-Unix-Examples ->failing (can not coerce arguments)
FFI-Examples -> crash the image.

-> maybe I am just uncapable, but I thnk it is not obvious how to get FFI
working, it just does not work with the
current squeak 4.5 release. You have to find a working cog version from
eliots site.

nicolai