[squeak-dev] FunSqueak link and Donate button added to homepage

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Oct 21 22:11:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 02:25:57PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 9:13 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 15-10-2014, at 7:07 PM, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The FunSqueak link is in the Beginners??? section of the Downloads page. The Donate button is on the homepage
> >
> > Yay! Thanks Chris.
> >
> > Now, everybody else:- please consider donating a few dollars/pounds/yen/euros/bolivars/escudos/whatevers. It goes towards supporting the servers that we rely upon to bring you Squeak. No money, no servers.
>
> Contributions are always welcome, but we are not on the verge of
> losing any servers.  We have an annoying expense we can get rid of by
> moving remaining services off of box2 (onto box3 and box4).

I decided that I should test our new Donate button on squeak.org. It turns
out that the easiest way to do this is to just make a donation. So I gave
it a try, making the payment through PayPal. It appears that the donation
went through to SFC, with our Squeak project identified as the source of
the contribution:

    Hello David Lewis,
    This email confirms that you have donated $20.00 USD to Software Freedom Conservancy using PayPal.

    This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *SF CNSRVNCY".

    -----------------------------------
    Donation Details
    -----------------------------------

    Confirmation number: 36N217491N221464B
    Donation amount: $20.00 USD
    Total: $20.00 USD
    Purpose: Squeak Project Donation via Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc.
    Reference: Squeak
    Contributor: David Lewis

I think that the "Squeak Project Donation" is a nice touch, since it lets
SFC know that we are alive and interested in helping them to support us.
Of course, more testing is always a good thing, so please do test the
donate button and report back if any problems are found. Better yet, try
to convince your neighbors, relatives, and former spouses to participate
in load testing by making large numbers of simultaneous donations at
some agreed time.

Dave