[squeak-dev] Updating 4.5 or getting a recent build of 4.6

Jeff Gonis jeff.gonis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:21:53 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

I have had some time recently and decided to get back into Squeak. I
grabbed Eliot's latest cog vm for windows and went to update my 4.5 image
from the trunk. I hit a VM crash after a minute or two of processing
updates.  Trying several other vintages of Eliot's vm did not help, and I
also went to the Squeak ftp site and grabbed the image in the 4.6 folder
and attempted to update that and ran into the same problem. I am pretty
sure this crash is the crash that was discussed on the list a while ago
with a corrupted mcm/mcz file. I thought that it had been resolved, but
maybe I misunderstood, or maybe I am missing a step here.

Anyway, the TL;DR of this mail is: How do I avoid crashing the vm when
updating from the trunk on windows, or is there a place to grab a more
recent vm that can be updated safely.  Figuring out either of these will
work for me. I am happy to post the crash dump if that will help.

Thanks for any and all help!
Jeff