[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.5 Windows right-click debacle

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Sep 1 10:48:15 UTC 2014

On 31.08.2014, at 18:03, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Our image's swapMouseButtons preference is enabled by default. That is correct, in Squeak we want the right mouse button to bring up the context menu (yellow). In Etoys, it is disabled, right-click gives you the halo (blue).
>>
>> I think what needs to change is the Windows VM's default mapping.
>
> For 4.5 All-In-One, It sounds like we're all in agreement that we want
> Squeak to behave consistently across platforms out of the box, which
> means twiddling that 3ButtonMouse setting in the .ini file.
>
> So, now that enough people have weighed in, I will try to do that today.

Thanks :)

> PS -- Re: the All-In-One being a PITA:  Isn't it 10X more important
> for the PITA to be directed at experienced users instead of new users?
> And, besides, I never really found it to be a PITA anyway, because
> experienced users all know where the FTP site for the image is, and
> heck, they're probably just using trunk anyway.  So, I don't really
> buy the argument that All-In-One is a PITA for anyone....

+1

Minor point: It would help if the "Downloads page" mention in the paragraph above the "Download" button on our homepage was a link. And on the downloads page, have at least a link to the current image+sources zip, a link to the bleeding edge trunk image (I could not find a description of how to get a trunk image), a link to the file repo for older versions, and possibly a blurb explaining the meaning of all that to the uninitiated.

- Bert -