[squeak-dev] Squeak VM on Debian? (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Sep 5 11:40:41 UTC 2014

On 05.09.2014, at 12:17, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please try this:
>
> cogvm --version
>
> It all made sense to Ken. And I don’t suppose he figured this would be for general use.

It wasn't, and we probably should not distribute it. It was just to keep the server maintenance sane.

Besides, it only works on Debian-derivatives. Redhat derivatives (Fedora, SuSE, etc) use rpm.

> And I guess I’d gotten used to it, as I’ve installed it on three systems.
> I’ll change the script from “cogvm" to “squeak”, which is what people would reasonably expect.
> It’s a great point. Thank you for raising it. I’ll make a new one.

Indeed. It should be "squeak". However, that "squeak" script should pick the interpreter or cog depending on the image.

In fact, Linux users shouldn't even need a separate VM download, but simply use their package manager to download the VM compiled by their distro. Providing competing packages is working against the distros, rather than with them. There is a clear separation of responsibilities: developers provide source code, distro maintainers provide binaries.

The VMs currently in the distros should work fine even with a 4.5 image, right?

	https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/squeak-vm.html
	https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/squeak-vm

This should be the primary method of getting a Squeak VM on Linux. We just tell the folks to install the "squeak-vm" package from their distro.

*Additionally* we can provide pointers to alternative VMs, and Cog should be on top of the list (advertised as a high-performance VM), but I see no value (though some harm) in repackaging these. I'd make a link to Eliot's directory and advise folks to get the latest. And a pointer to squeakvm.org for all the other VMs.

How does that sound?

- Bert -

PS: We are also working on getting Cog into the distro's Squeak VM packages, which takes time. But eventually this will play out and is the better long-term strategy.