[squeak-dev] Squeak VM on Debian? (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Sep 5 11:50:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 06:17:32AM -0400, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> Please try this:
>
> cogvm --version
>
> It all made sense to Ken. And I don???t suppose he figured this would be for general use. And I guess I???d gotten used to it, as I???ve installed it on three systems.
> I???ll change the script from ???cogvm" to ???squeak???, which is what people would reasonably expect.
> It???s a great point. Thank you for raising it. I???ll make a new one.
>
> Chris

Hang on a second. You're making an "official" distribution that differs from
what Eliot is distributing, which in turn conflicts with the unix VM on
squeakvm.org. I happen to think that using the name "cogvm" to distinguish
it from the original "squeak" name (which is already in use for a different
flavor of the VM) is a really good idea. But please check to see if Eliot
agrees with what you are doing.

To be clear -- I support the idea of giving Eliot's cogvm launch script a
different name to distiguish it from Ian's original. But let's make sure
people agree with this (especially Eliot in this case) before changing the
conventions.

Thanks,
Dave