[squeak-dev] re: The Dilemma: Building a Futuristic GUI for Ephestos

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 21:11:39 UTC 2014

Hi Craig,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> > I don't think anybody ever even reported trying [Ffenestri].
>
>      I did; it worked. And I just said so again a few messages ago. Hm.

OK.  It opens windows.  But a snippet in a workspace can do that.  It does
not constitute a replacement for the current window system though does it?
 But Vassili's work can be.  We had it in production at customer sites.  We
could use it for development.  It was complete, in the sense that one could
open arbitrary system windows as native windows, switch them back to
"virtual" windows, snapshot etc and everything would keep working.  That's
"working".  With great respect to Tim and John, their work in Ffenestri is
not the same thing, is it?  By the same criteria I don't think what Qwaq
did constituted a real system; it allowed the login WIndow to be displayed
natively, but it didn't support development tools and it certainly didn't
support snapshot or dynamic switching.  Being critical is not being
insulting.  It's merely being objective.  At least I hope I'm being
objective and not insulting anyone.  It is not my intent.

--
best,
Eliot