[squeak-dev] The Dilemma: Building a Futuristic GUI for Ephestos

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Sep 15 22:57:57 UTC 2014

On 15-09-2014, at 2:11 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

>   With great respect to Tim and John, their work in Ffenestri is not the same thing, is it?  By the same criteria I don't think what Qwaq did constituted a real system; it allowed the login WIndow to be displayed natively, but it didn't support development tools and it certainly didn't support snapshot or dynamic switching.  Being critical is not being insulting.  It's merely being objective.  At least I hope I'm being objective and not insulting anyone.  It is not my intent.

Not insulting at all. As I said, John & I did the most basic low-level stuff in preparation for more advanced work by other people (for general use) and ourselves (for Sophie). We didn’t get to ever go back to it for Sophie (which foundered on the all too common altar of “it must be rewritten in java” and died) and despite the claims about how important the host window thing was nobody took it up.

It will be interesting to see if anyone will be able to do anything with Vassili’s work.

tim
Oxymorons: Found missing