[squeak-dev] SMServer beta update - the user interface is done

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 16:55:50 UTC 2014

Nice progress, but some very important use-cases have fallen through
the cracks compared to what we have with the legacy SqueakMap
web-site.  Most importantly, *searching* for a package by a sub-string
match in either the package name OR its description can be done on the
legacy interface via the browser's "Find..." function, but not this
new one.

This could be solved by including the Author and Description on the
PackagesByName page?  There are many packages related to "Seaside"
that would not be able to be found except by reference in their
description.  This is an important use-case for finding projects, we
cannot afford to lose that.

BTW, I think the "Packages" tab with this:

   << A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z >>

should be deleted entirely and replaced with PackagesByAccount and
PackagesByCategory.

Another major branch of the model that is missing is the map of the
PEOPLE of Squeak.  "Map" in SqueakMap refers not just to a map of
projects, but their authors too (encapsulated by SMAccounts).  All of
MY projects relate to each other, and work together.  So when someone
finds "Magma" I want them to also be able to see my _other_ projects
which are add-ons and such to Magma.  Just like they can today:

    http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/c3993561-22fb-421f-b0be-c46b5487e105

Another major part of the model that is missing is the Category model.  As in:

   http://map.squeak.org/categoriestree

SM's Category hierarchy is _crucial_ to fulfilling the real-world
use-cases.  With the old site, a newbie can come in and, for example,
browse all "Development Tools" packages.

   http://map.squeak.org/category/82f328ab-175d-40b4-a363-bc0287dabd77

Another example is I often want to see the list of packages listed as
compatible with a particular older version of Squeak, like Squeak4.2.
That is easily done with the old site today, again, through the
Categories.

   http://map.squeak.org/category/c9483b78-49a2-4c1e-aa9e-9024a3381abb

I was not able to see how you intend to render the SMReleases of each
SMPackage, because of the links pointing to "localhost".  Releases,
and the Categories they belong in, are crucial to the success of the
SM requirements.

Chris, you are making great progress and I truly do not wish to make
your life difficult, but we simply cannot lose these functions we have
today with the old site.  I know if you look at the Category tree
you'll grok how to use it to generically provide all of this rich
access to the SM domain model we have today, and probably in a just a
day or two.  Thank you.  Your efforts are not unappreciated -- is
there anything can do to help?

 - Chris