[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-nice.582.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 23:04:43 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 September 2014 20:10, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry  for the late reply.
>>> I mistakenly assumed the license problem was solved, but after verification,
>>> there is no mention of a license on the blog nor on the cincom public store
>>> repository.
>>> I have sent private e-mail to Travis 2 days ago, but haven't received an
>>> answer yet.
>>> I don't know him personnally, so I would welcome any one having a more
>>> direct channel to contact him.
>>> Without a clear answer we'll have to retract these commits.
>>>
>>> Unless you prefer a preventive retractation right now?
>>
>> Travis hasn't been involved with Smalltalk for over 2 years now
>>
>>   http://objology.blogspot.com/2012/05/stepping-out-of-balloon.html
>>
>> so its very possible you'll get no reply.
>>
>> Note that Cincom reprinted his blog post under their own domain,
>> including the part that encourages to "port it to your own flavor of
>> Smalltalk".
>>
>>    http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/main/2010/12/tag-sortfunctions/
>>
>> If they would object to this being ported, why would they reprint it
>> and not "clarify" that point?
>>
>> To me, it seems clear that this was meant for adoption by the
>> Smalltalk community at large.  It would be a shame to subvert that by
>> some (mis)perceived legal technicality.  We are not lawyers, but in
>> case we get no reply, if we're that concerned about a lawsuit (waged
>> by Cincom?), the SFC does have a legal resource whom we could ask to
>> evaluate it.
>
> "Port" means "translate into your Smalltalk". It does not have
> anything at all to do with licences. I didn't see Travis saying "this
> is public domain",

He didn't?  Then what does this mean?

  "And you can lobby Cincom to include it in VisualWorks. Or port it
to your own flavor of Smalltalk."

Followed by:

  "I did my best to write it in such a way that it would work in
Squeak or Gemstone, or whatever."

Geez its even better than MIT because he explicitly mentioned Squeak
and Gemstone, followed by "whatever".

Taken as a whole, the meaning is clear.  You're hung up because it
wasn't drafted by a lawyer, approved by parliament, and stamped by the
queen..?

> I didn't see a licence declaration, so... what?
> Hopefully Travis will come back and say "hey, you know, I'm a
> signed-up contributor to Squeak, why are you even asking?" and then we
> can all be happy.
>
> Until then, we _do not know_. 'It was ported from a "public
> repository" into trunk.  Everything posted to trunk is MIT.' is not an
> argument.

I was simply trying to double-answer your ambiguous question, which
didn't specify whether you were asking about the license of the
original work or the derivative work.  The derivative work is
MIT-licensed by virtue of it being part of Squeak.

> And the second statement's not even true. Us saying "you
> submitted it, therefore it's MIT" is bogus.

Log into source.squeak.org and click on "The Trunk" on the left side.
What do you see under "License?"

> The submitter needs to
> have signed the contributor agreement, _and have the right_ to sign
> such an agreement. Your work contract might not permit you to do such
> a thing.
>
> And I'm not suggesting ripping anything out. Let's wait for Travis to
> respond. Hopefully someone has a more direct line to him, given that
> Nicolas has waited two days already.

Respond with what?  Something like, "Yes, I really did mean what I
wrote in black and white that 'You can port it to your own flavor of
Smalltalk.'"  Or do we need him to officially "stamp it" with some
kind of "MIT" stamp?  And, if he's too busy to do your paperwork then
throw it out?

> But this is a very real problem.

No it isn't.  I think you're making a problem out of nothing.  What do
you think could happen?  A lawsuit?