[squeak-dev] Contributor agreement

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 09:30:12 UTC 2014

What Tim's describing (at a glance) looks like BSD licensing but I'd have to check.

Anyway: THIS PART IS IMPORTANT.

All new code should be contributed under the MIT license or a compatible license. To an extent, we have to trust people. If they don't tell us, we probably won't know. I am not a lawyer, but that IS my understanding.

To combat the aforementioned problem, we should be vigilant about asking questions. I was under the impression that anything in the Cincom public store (or whatever it is called) was under a Cincom open source license which is likely incompatible. Someone who knows about this should chime in, but I'm worried that incorporating code from that repository may essentially cause us to have to rip that code out later to avoid poisoning the license on the image.

Please forgive if I have this all wrong. (Again, IANAL.)

Casey

P.S.

With regard to the licensing of the code in the VM, I am less informed.