[squeak-dev] re: Contributor agreement

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 20:57:21 UTC 2014

> None of this is telling me anything about whether the code in question is available under a compatible license. Can we contact the author? Does anyone here know anything about the process of submitting code to the Cincom public store?
>
> That's what I'd like to see. Some facts. I love Squeak. Like anything you love, you protect it. If I'm acting like an overprotective parent, I'll know as soon as I see some facts about this stuff.
>
> Reiterate: code must be submitted under a compatible license or we shouldn't take it on. Period.

Yes however I don't think we should say "Period" because
risk-management is not only about protecting our interests but
consuming our opportunities when the risk is reasonably low.
Copyright holders can release under a non-standard license if they
want, the burden is on the adopters, us, to assess the risk of making
a derivative work of it.  In this case, I felt the risk was
low-probability and low-impact.

Yoshiki reminded us about the possibility that someday we may not be
able to get a clarification.  In that situation we should assess the
situation, the "grayness", and make a judgement call.