[squeak-dev] It's not yet clear how serialization should work in the presence of environments

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Sep 28 02:20:23 UTC 2014

Currently we have:

  Binding>>objectForDataStream: refStream
	"It's not yet clear how serialization should work in the presence of environments"

	self shouldBeImplemented.

This prevents us from being able to save projects to local disk
in Squeak trunk. See Mantis entry at:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7814

Any thoughts as to how this should be implemented?

Taking the method comment literally, I would expect that serialization in
the presence of environments should work identically to serialization in
the absence of environments, at least as a default behavior. I suspect that
is not hard to make this happen, but I don't know how to do it.

Dave