[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] Maintainer of FFI-Package

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 18:38:41 UTC 2014

Hi Annick,

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Annick Fron <list at afceurope.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have recently made some experiments with pharo and FFI, and I have ran
> into problems with callbacks.
> I am using linux 32 bits.
> First question : when calling a dynamic  library is it necessary that it
> exports all symbols ? What if symbols are noted « U » (undefined) ?

If you have undefined symbols in an external library, they need to be
resoled by the VM or other libraries loaded in the system.  If any are not
resolved the library will fail to load.

> 2) On one of my callbacks got the message « callback failed to own the VM
> » . Have you any idea of where it comes from ?

Yes.  This means you're trying to callback from a different thread than the
VM thread.  hat isn't supported yet.

> 3) If the callback is called  in a different thread, is it a problem ?

Yes.

4) On Pharo I have an error on the following : is it incorrect ? It is a 64
> bits problem ?
> Using FFI Linux examples.
>
> testGetOurWindowLocation
> "self new testGetOurWindowLocation"
>
> | display ourWindow aParent anX anY aWidth aHeight aBorderWidth aDepth |
> display := X11Display XOpenDisplay: nil.
> ourWindow := display ourWindow.
> (Alien lookup: 'XGetGeometry' inLibrary: 'X11')
>     primFFICallResult: nil
>     withArguments:
>         {display.
>         ourWindow.