[squeak-dev] Package postscripts (was: The Trunk: Morphic-mt.840.mcz)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 7 15:34:32 UTC 2015

On 07.04.2015, at 17:20, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 07.04.2015, at 17:15, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>
>> No.
>>
>> The postscript (and all other scripts) of a package is executed once (in most cases).
>> Since the update process loads the Monticello Configurations (.mcm files) one by one, therefore you can only have one postscript per package per MC configuration.
>> This means that there are a few different cases:
>> (1) If you're the first to add a postscript to a package since the last .mcm, then you must delete its contents (if any) and add your code to it.
>> (2) If you're not the first (the script exists with some code in it), then you have to check if the existing content can be run again. If yes, then append your code to the postscript.
>> (3) In any other cases you have to create a new .mcm file first, then do what's in (1).
>>

> O.O I bet I won't remember this …

I find it easier to write scripts in a way so they can be executed repeatedly without harm.

You just append new stuff below, with a comment mentioning the package version you added it.

You can also check if the previous snippets are older than the version in the latest config map. If so, you can safely remove them.

At the top of the script there should probably a comment explaining this process.

- Bert -