[squeak-dev] Image cannot grow beyond 500Mb

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sat Aug 8 16:21:55 UTC 2015

Am 08.08.15 um 15:24 schrieb Tapple Gao:
> I am trying to use Moose to do run graph algorithms on data with about
> 300,000 nodes. This data is map data downloaded from OpenStreetMap,
> and I am trying to analyze it with the Moose-Analysis-Graphs package.
> However, it seems completely unable to handle this, partially due to
> unoptimized algorithms, but mostly due to memory limits of the VM or
> image itself.
>
> I am using the vm and image of the moose one-click image for mac:
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/#install . I believe this is a pharo vm
> and image, I don’t know if pharo and squeak are still different these
> days, or if it matters. Been out of squeak for a few years
>
> This platform is seemingly unable to use more than about 500Mb of
> memory. I watch it in mac’s activity monitor. Once it reaches about
> 450Mb as measured by activity monitor, it is spending nearly all it’s
> time in the garbage collector, (as measured by activity monitor’s
> Sample Process tool). The most I’ve seen it eventually reach is 556Mb,
> after about an hour, then it does a hard VM crash (Pharo has quit
> unexpectedly).
>
> Is there a way to remedy this? I tried running the image in 4
> alternative VM’s:
> - The latest pharo mac vm from http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/mac/ .
> Same issue as above. likely the same vm
> - Cocoa Cog vm from http://squeakvm.org/mac/ : crashed at startup.
> could not load image
> - Cocoa Stack vm from http://squeakvm.org/mac/ : crashed at startup;
> could not load image
> - Carbon Stack vm from http://squeakvm.org/mac/ : refused to start
>
> Is it possible to allocate more than 500Mb of memory to squeak?

The Pharo.app has an info.plist file where you can change the value of
SqueakMaxHeapSize.
The default value is 516MB.
I don't know what the maximum allowed number is. As the Pharo VM is 32
Bit I expect that you
cannot increase it beyond ~3GB.
In order to break this memory barrier you will have to wait for a 64 Bit
VM (look for Spur development)
later this year.

Regards
Andreas