[Vm-dev] Squeak 5 Image Segment Work [was [squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 5]

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Aug 20 04:00:33 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 10:31:00PM -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> As part of my PhD thesis I did take a deep look to ImageSegment before
> starting with Fuel. I wrote a journal paper about my experiments with
> ImageSegment which I thinks provides quite a documentation that is not
> written anywhere. Hope it helps:
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/archives/papers/Mart11c-COMLAN-ObjectSwapping.pdf

Hi Mariano,

Thanks for the reference to your ObjectSwapping.pdf paper. I think that it
provides a very helpful overview.

As an aside, we hold regular meetings of the Squeak oversight board, which
as you might expect sometimes diverge into discussion of technical issues of
one sort or another. In discussion earlier today, Eliot referred to your Fuel
implementation as "Parcels done right" and I agreed that I think it may help
with implementing image segments on new image formats (Spur, 32/64 bit images).
Personally, I like Fuel because it is easy to read and understand.

I would encourage folks to read the ObjectSwapping paper and also to consider
helping with implementation of image segments on Spur images. Mariano's paper
provides good documentation on the topic.

Dave