[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-dtl.997.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Aug 24 11:55:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 07:41:52AM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 11:42:58AM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I think this method belongs to Editor instead of TextEditor.
> >
> > Levente
>
> I was not sure which was best. Most of the "menu messages" are in
> TextEditor, so I added the new one there for consistency. But as you
> say, Editor seems like a better place for them.

Sorry for replying to my own post, but I should note also that the
class comment of Editor suggests that the original design intent was
to support a variety of things that might be quite different from
TextEditor (SimpleEditor? CellStyleEditor? what became of these?).
So maybe the menu messages were put in TextEditor for that reason.

The class comment is:

  New text editors.
  TextEditor provides most of the functionality that used to be in
  TextMorphEditor.
  SmalltalkEditor is has (sic) Smalltalk code specific features.
  SimpleEditor provides basic functionality for single line text editing.
  It does not handle fonts and styles, aligning and Smalltalk utilities.
  It handles one single line.
  CellStyleEditor allows entering alphabetic characters using only number
  keys, like many cell phones do.

Dave