[squeak-dev] Squeak 5 all-in-one OS X image saving/sources

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Aug 25 09:03:15 UTC 2015

On 25.08.2015, at 03:27, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On my iMac, with the Squeak 5 all-in-one I get a rather annoying issue if I want to
> a) save an image other than buried deep in the package bowels; it would be nice if we could provide an option for saving an image outside the current home directory.
> b) after saving an image, extracting it + changes to where I wanted it to live, the system reported finding no sources file because it was expecting to find it at ‘directory containing all-in-one package’ and it was buried deep in the package bowels.
>
> That seems to me to be a rather infelicitous combination, especially for a new user; "hell I just saved this image thing and now I can’t find it anywhere!” I imagine we need to add another sources-path option to handle this but maybe there is some mac bundle magic involved too?

The way we handle that in Etoys is to treat the “built-in” image as read-only. The working directory (FileDirectory default) is *not* the image directory, but (on a Mac at least) $HOME/Documents/Etoys. Saving the image will save to that directory.

What we have not done on a Mac is that when you double-click the VM, it should load the last image saved. We did that on the OLPC XO though - its launcher shell script checks if there is an image in the documents directory (meaning the user saved it) and it launches that one. Otherwise it launches the bundled image.

I’m pretty sure we can have our cake and eat it too ...

- Bert -