[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Monticello-eem.617.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Aug 28 20:24:15 UTC 2015

On 28-08-2015, at 1:35 AM, Kjell Godo <squeaklist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pardon me for butting in but
>
> I am interested in creating a new   Class of pop up menu   in Pharo
>
> that doesn't look or act anything like the standard pop up Menus

Kjell, you don’t neccessarily need to make a subclass of the current Menu, just so long as your class implements enough of the same methods that it works ok.  It’s kind of an obvious point but one I see people forgetting far too often. You may not want many - or any - of the same instance variables or internal behaviours.

All you should need to do is implement your menu (round menus![1] with sparkles!) and add a way to decide which menu class gets used.

tim
[1] round menus have actually been used, not least in the ancient Momenta Smalltalk based tablets of the late 80’s/very early 90’s.
Why do we want intelligent terminals when there are so many stupid users?