[squeak-dev] mouse enter/move/leave event confusion

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Dec 3 03:38:57 UTC 2015

> On 02-12-2015, at 11:11 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
>> Find attached some code that works fine. :) Without gridding but that could
>> easily be added.
>
> Yah, that’s almost exactly what my code looks like wrt the events etc. The only difference is that my ‘cursor’ isn’t a submorph of the ‘playfield’. I wonder if that would help at all…

Well, it sort of did and sort of didn’t. It certainly removed the appearance of the fake-cursor jumping around due to spurious mouse-leaves. But unfortunately it *crushed* performance and made painting horribly slow. A Tally implied some horrible volume of draw related messages that don’t happen normally. Sigh.

So right now I’m wondering if I can make the HandMorph’s temporaryCursor be some variety of form/morph that does the gridding while displaying. The issue there is that all the relevant code expects the temporaryCursor to be an image, so a lot would need fiddling with.

I guess another option might be to subclass HandMorph to try out adding more instvars and add gridding that way. At least that might avoid breaking everyone else’s Hands. ;-)

tim
Useful random insult:- His head whistles in a cross wind.