[squeak-dev] Unicode Support

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Dec 5 19:15:11 UTC 2015

> On 05-12-2015, at 11:10 AM, Ryan Macnak <rmacnak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This may be out of the scope of your project, but there is also the issue that Squeak/Pharo don't display most characters. Copy the following in a workspace and only the first line is rendered properly. At a minimum there should be font substitution happening when the current font doesn't contain the necessary glyphs.

We’ll need to properly complete an interface to Cairo/Pango or perhaps even better, incorporate Nile.

In Pi Scratch I have moderately tacky-hack to make all text rendering go via Pango if the relevant plugin is present. It is surprisingly effective, with no noticeable impact on the text rendering performance *within Scratch*. I don’t know what it might do to performance for general dev ui tool text rendering; clearly large volumes of text in multi-paragraph chunks is not an issue in Scratch.

tim
Useful random insult:- IQ = dx / (1 + dx), where x = age.