[squeak-dev] Sorting Unicode strings

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 20:52:09 UTC 2015

Hello

According to http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/27/collation/de.html the German
phonebook sort order is

a A ä Ä ą̈ Ą̈ ǟ Ǟ ạ̈ Ạ̈ ḁ̈ Ḁ̈ b B c C d D e E f F g G h H i I j J k K
l L m M n N o O ö Ö ǫ̈ Ǫ̈ ȫ Ȫ ơ̈ Ơ̈ ợ̈ Ợ̈ ọ̈ Ọ̈ p P q Q r R s S ss ß t
T u U ü Ü ǘ Ǘ ǜ Ǜ ǚ Ǚ ų̈ Ų̈ ǖ Ǖ ư̈ Ư̈ ự̈ Ự̈ ụ̈ Ụ̈ ṳ̈ Ṳ̈ ṷ̈ Ṷ̈ ṵ̈ Ṵ̈ v
V w W x X y Y z Z

I wonder why it looks like this. A lot of characters which never
appear in a German text.

For Spanish there is 'traditional' and 'standard'

http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/27/collation/es.html

standard        a A á Á b B c C d D e E é É f F g G h H i I í Í j J k K l L m
M n N ñ Ñ ņ̃ Ņ̃ ṇ̃ Ṇ̃ ṋ̃ Ṋ̃ ṉ̃ Ṉ̃ o O ó Ó p P q Q r R s S t T u U ú Ú
ü Ü v V w W x X y Y z Z

traditional     a A á Á b B c C ch Ch CH cĥ Cĥ CĤ cȟ Cȟ CȞ cḧ Cḧ CḦ cḣ Cḣ
CḢ cḩ Cḩ CḨ cḥ Cḥ CḤ cḫ Cḫ CḪ cẖ Cẖ d D e E é É f F g G h H i I í Í j
J k K l L ll Ll LL lĺ Lĺ LĹ lľ Lľ LĽ lļ Lļ LĻ lḷ Lḷ LḶ lḹ Lḹ LḸ lḽ Lḽ
LḼ lḻ Lḻ LḺ m M n N ñ Ñ ņ̃ Ņ̃ ṇ̃ Ṇ̃ ṋ̃ Ṋ̃ ṉ̃ Ṉ̃ o O ó Ó p P q Q r R s
S t T u U ú Ú ü Ü v V w W x X y Y z Z

And French is not easily found
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/27/collation/index.html
or seems to be defined elsewhere