[squeak-dev] Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Dec 8 14:00:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Robert Withers
<robert.w.withers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/07/2015 07:26 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
>>
>> Robert Withers wrote:
>>>
>>> Ben, Huw, Todd and Sven, thank you all for your feedback!  I suppose I
>>> could call the project "CryptOCaps" but for some reason I glommed onto
>>> mushroom as the name. Not grandiose and it is somewhat descriptive...a
>>> network of secure sessions, each one a mushroom. Ceps are highly valued.
>>> We can tag it for the catalog.
>>
>> Though pretty old, the Mushroom Smalltalk computer was very well known
>> at one time:
>>
>> http://www.wolczko.com/mushroom/
>>
>> Though one is a hardware project and yours is software, there is still
>> the potential for some confusion.
>>
>> -- Jecel
>

> Oh dear, that's a potential naming conflict. Perhaps this is where the idea
> came from, as I have read about this Mushroom Project long ago. As this
> hardware project is not longer active, repurposing the name may be
> reasonable but I cannot say wityhout that authority. There are 2 layers,
> session & presentation, so perhaps 2 names are needed and the one project
> needs splitting. And there is the consensus issue. Perhaps I should use
> technical names and be done with it: SecureSession & CryptOCaps. Well, I
> will leave off changing again until agreed to names are established, as I
> don't know what to do about it, but I welcome suggestions...
>
> Maelstrom, Mushroom, Crystalline & Phosphor, SecureSession & CryptOCaps,
> pther suggestions?

Grinding over your previous descriptions...

>> binary serialization to communicate over the wire

securewire --> 1900

secuawire --> 0

immunewire --> 2

wirymune --> 1  My overall favourite, if a little oblique ("wire immune").

tightwire --> 91200

>> substrate for distributed secure objects

obtransecua --> 0

obtransec --> 0 Equal favourite descriptive ("object transfer secure")

secuaobj --> 0

secushare --> 5880

kryptobj --> 4

kryptomesh --> 0  Equal favourite descriptive ("cryptographic mesh" of objects)

meshobsec --> 0

kryptnet --> 1220

cheers -ben