[Cuis] Sorting Unicode strings (Re: [Unicode] collation sequences (Re: [squeak-dev] Unicode Support))

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Wed Dec 9 21:53:49 UTC 2015

On 12/08/2015 04:59 PM, EuanM wrote:
> http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/#Stable_Code_Points
> Table 7, the discussion of Ligatures, (which uses the ligature of
> "ffi" as its example)
>
> Every time I think I'm about to grokk this standard, something like
> this crops up.

Table 7 and Table 8 are showing different normalization forms and I
think  Table 8 is an example where the two strings are equivalent (the
are two categories of normalization: canonical equivalent [table 7] and
compatibility equivalent [table 8]) .... it seems (I haven't delved this
far myself) that the normalization form is chosen based on the actual
set of characters and possibly some application specific choices ....

So I don't think there is a fixed one-size fits all interpretation ...
which makes duplicating the functionality ICU challenging....

Dale