[squeak-dev] OT: Convince me github is a wise choice

Peter Crowther peter at ozzard.org
Fri Dec 18 14:25:38 UTC 2015

On 17 December 2015 at 17:29, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> So my concern is whether github is a safe long-term
> bet.  Specifically what is there to prevent some third party from buying
> github, or of github going public and the board taking the decision, or
> github on its own, deciding to charge for hosting, keeping the data hostage
> to extract payment?  What safeguards are in place to prevent this?  I'm not
> interested in "this will never happen" arguments.  I'm interested in hard
> data please.

There is nothing in place commercially to prevent this, but there are
some technical safeguards.  Principal among these is that a clone of a
repo includes a full version history.  One or more of us could choose
to "git clone" regularly from the github repo, and treat those as
backups against github becoming unavailable or unreasonable.

- Peter