[squeak-dev] A Suggested Promotion

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Dec 23 00:03:55 UTC 2015

> On 22-12-2015, at 4:10 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
>
> Richard Eng wrote on Tue, 22 Dec 2015 06:11:12 -0500
>> I have a suggestion for future Smalltalk advocates...
>> [Squeak and Raspberry Pi contest idea]
>
> One problem is that the standard Linux distributions (including those
> optimized for the Pi) don't include a complete Squeak (or Pharo).

True, though the Pi Raspbian does include the full VM setup (currently a Cog Spur 34xx level vm), which means that a fairly small package of image/change/sources/tutorials/examples/support files is al lthat would be needed. Oh, wait, we don’t have a well thought out tutorial world.

By far the biggest problem would be raising money I fear. The foundation can’t offer any because it basically doesn’t have any. It’s just as well the SFC provide free hosting because we’d not be able to pay for commercial support.

tim
Time to start the War on Errorism before stupidity finally gets us.