[squeak-dev] A Suggested Promotion

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Dec 23 17:45:25 UTC 2015

Raspbian already has an option to boot straight to Scratch, so I don’t imagine it would be hard to copy whatever settings are used. I don’t know if it currently runs it with -vm-display-fb but I imagine it could.

I’m not a huge fan (having tried it in the past) of “nothing but Smalltalk” because it’s so damn hard. All those tricky hardware drivers to futz with and changing hardware and … ugh. It seems much more sensible to me to use a Smalltalk as the layer above a decent kernel, to add tools to do all the things one normally needs to do and get the benefits of both systems. Of course, there’s still a *staggering* amount of work to do that.

tim
"How many Grogs does it take to change a lightbulb?”
"One. Something with manipulatory appendages will be along eventually."