[squeak-dev] Re: #flash UI output

Jakob Reschke jakob.reschke at student.hpi.de
Mon Dec 28 19:21:52 UTC 2015

I would like to add here that neither Notepad, nor Visual Studio nor
Eclipse nor Vim change the selection when the search text could not be
found. Instead, they pop up modal dialogs, play an exclamation sound
and/or display "pattern not found" at the bottom. So at least, it is
not consistent with "the outside world" at the moment. The flash would
be an unintrusive indication of that state, although its meaning only
becomes clear on second thought for first time users (Well, what was
that? Ah, probably there are no more occurrences.), unlike in the
other editors.

Since not everyone likes modal dialogs and there is no general status
line in Squeak's text morphs,
another alternative could be to insert "no more occurrences found" (or
likewise) at the cursor position and make that selected (like the
"Nothing more expected ->" which appears before unbalanced brackets
when you Do or Print something in a workspace) and have it removed
with the next interaction (probably complicated to implement). But I
am quite sure someone will find this disrupting as well (not even sure
about myself), so maybe just take it as a brainstorming idea...

Is there a default means for non-disrupting UI notifications in
Squeak? Marcel's Vivide has short text messages appear briefly in the
lower right corner of a widget when list filtering yields no more
results or is cancelled. I could imagine something like this for
search string not found as well.

Best regards,
Jakob