[squeak-dev] [OT] What is this called?

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 07:21:40 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-12-29 at 23:10 -0800, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Phil (list) <pbpublist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Serialization/marshalling? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serializat
> > ion
> >
> > I think of it as serialization if the object is 'dead' when it
> > reaches
> > its destination, marshalling if I need it 'alive'
> Interesting, thanks. What's the difference between dead and alive?

Dead meaning you just want to persist/transfer the object state (i.e.
write to disk etc.), alive meaning you want an actual instance with the
specified object state to exist when it reaches its destination (i.e.
recreate the object at the destination whether it be in another
instance on the same machine, across the network, or even in an
entirely different language/runtime environment)